Summer 2020 Dates and Application Information
||February 17, 2020 for full consideration
||June 1 - August 7, 2020 (10 weeks)
A housing allowance of up to $2,000 will be available for students coming from outside Colorado.
|Travel Reimbursement :
|| A travel reimbursement of up to $500 will be available for students coming from outside Colorado.
|Double (Shared) Studio Apartment without meal plan:
|| $ 2,800
|Double (Shared) Studio Apartment w/ full meal plan:
|| $ 4,700
|Double (Shared) Room w/ community bath and full meal plan:
|| $ 4,000
* These prices are estimates for planning purposes only and are subject to change.
Please note: NSF REU funds may only be used to support undergraduate students who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions .
Applying for an REU position is a two-step process. First, you should fill in our online application form:
Then please send us the following supporting documents/information:
- Current unofficial electronic transcript of your grades.
- A statement of at least a one page describing:
- how you think a summer research experience at the SMRC might further your educational or professional goals;
- relevant work, life, or laboratory experience (employer, type of work, dates of employment, previous participation in an REU or other summer program);
- computer experience (please list the types of computers which you have used and any programming languages or operating systems with which you have had significant experience);
- anything additional that you think would be beneficial for us to know about you (honors, awards).
- Name and affiliation of a professional reference. Please ask this person to write a letter in your behalf and mail it to the address given below.
Here are some useful REU Application Tips.
All application materials should be sent to:
Soft Materials Research Center
Department of Physics – 390 UCB
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0390